Saturday, September 6, 2008

First Few Weeks Back.

Last night, Alex and I went out to PF Changs in celebration of the new school year. When we got out of dinner, it was raining pretty hard, so he volunteered to go get the car and pick me up -despite my suggestion that we could wait it out. While waiting, I heard a couple behind me talking. The girl was asking the guy to go get the car and the guy was saying, "no way, it's too wet. why don't we just wait it out? You can go get it if you want." I felt so proud of my man. When Alex picked me up, I told him about those couples and he said, "Did you tell them that your husband went to get the car?" -ohmyword, he got so red! He had meant to say "boyfriend," haha. I love it when he slips like that. I do it too sometimes. It's mortifying, but cute all at the same time.

The school year has started off pretty well. I cried a few nights, but I really believe that it was caused by a lot of the stress of moving back in and trying to settle back down into normal life again. Also, it didn't help that the first week I hardly got to see Alex because he was so busy with TAG. I felt like he was hanging out with his friends more than he was with me and got really insecure. I called him about it and we both started crying, of course, and so we met each other behind the science building and had a good talk about what we needed, what we wanted, where boundaries would be this year, and life in general. By boundaries, I am not talking just physical; I mean social boundaries mostly. For instance, how much time will we spend with others vs spending time with each other and if we will say "I love you" in public (we are not). Of course, the ever-present source of tension between us is the fact that I love to plan, schedule, and organize, and he hates to do anything of the sort, he loves spontaneity.

My classes aren't too bad... ha.
  • Study of History- read two novels about studying/writing/reviewing history, write a 25 page paper on any topic in history of your choice
  • Adolescent Leaner- Reflection Paper, Research Paper, "hot topic in adolescence" paper and presentation
  • Intro to Ed- endless amount of random, 2 page papers and various projects every week or so
  • International Social Issues- read a novel and write a summary, two page papers and online discussions weekly.
  • Hist. of Subsaharan Africa- read 3 novels
  • Practicum- observe/help/participate in a high school classroom from 12:30-3:30 every Tuesday and Thursday.

No comments: